Get an A+ in Adventure!
The Harding Honors Symposium is a two-week academic program on the Searcy campus designed to challenge, encourage, and uplift high school students who are now in their junior year (students graduating in the class of 2016).
Honors Symposium is a life-changing journey where students from all across the nation come together for the purpose of growing spiritually and academically. This is accomplished by daily engagement with our finest university professors and mentoring with some of our top university student counselors. Students learn about the world in which we live and how each of us fits into the world as Christians. This goal is achieved through stimulating academic classes and fun activities designed to develop group bonding and sharing. We intend to enrich the spirit and expand the mind of each student participant in Honors Symposium.
Three hours of university credit are awarded to all who successfully complete the Symposium. This credit is transferable to the college or university of the participant's choice. The course content is designed to appeal to students of both the humanities and the sciences. At Harding, Symposium credit may be applied to one of the following courses:
- English 201 or 202
- History 101, 102, 110 or 111
- Art 101
- Music 101
- Theater 101
In previous years, students from more than 40 states and six foreign countries have attended the Symposium.
The 2015 Honors Symposium Dates
Honors Symposium will offer four sessions in 2015 with each session capped at 50 students.
Session A: June 26 – July 10 (Full with a waiting list)
Session B: July 3 – July 17 (Full with a waiting list)
Session C: July 10 – July 24 (Full with a waiting list)
Session D: July 17 – July 31 (Full with a waiting list)
Please complete the following form so that we can send you an invitation to the Honors Symposium.
Submit a letter of Reference
See Where We're From
Honors Symposium 2015
|Alabama: 16||Kansas: 2||New York: 1|
|Arkansas: 67||Kentucky: 4||Ohio: 6|
|Colorado: 1||Louisana: 2||Oklahoma: 8|
|Florida: 2||Michigan: 1||Pennsylvania: 2|
|Georgia: 3||Minnesota: 1||South Carolina: 1|
|Idaho: 2||Missouri: 13||Tennesse: 29|
|Illinois: 3||North Carolina: 5||Texas: 23|
|Indiana: 1||New Mexico: 3||Washington: 1|
|West Virginia: 3|
Flying to Honors Symposium? Download the required Flight arrangements (pdf).
- The first day consists of registration, a casual reception and orientation by the counselors. Registration is typically from 2-4 in the afternoon.
- The schedule of activities begins around 9 or 10 a.m. Your day will include lectures, discussion groups, interactive classes on a variety of topics relating to the central theme. Evenings are filled with fun activities to give you an opportunity to relax and socialize.
- Saturdays are full days as well with relaxed time constraints, and Sundays include worship time together.
- The Honors Symposium sessions conclude after breakfast on your closing Friday. Students must depart campus by 10:00am.
All in all you are about to embark on a magnificent learning experience, which will allow you development in many areas.
Download a paper application (pdf)
Admission to the Symposium is treated on an individual basis with special consideration given to grade point average, a score from any nationally standardized test (ACT, SAT, PSAT) and a reference letter.
Items needed for a complete application:
- a recent photograph
- a letter of reference from a teacher, guidance counselor or church leader outlining your academic capability and current leadership roles.
- a copy of your current high school transcript
- official ACT or SAT test scores submitted by testing agency directly to Harding (or PSAT scores sent to SAI office)
- a $250 deposit*
*Deposit is applied toward the total cost of $795.00. Students not accepted to the program will be refunded the deposit. Accepted students whose summer plans change for any reason by March 1, 2015 will be refunded the deposit. A change of plans after March 1 (other than medical) will forfeit the deposit.
You can submit all the above by e-mail (email@example.com) or mailed to the address below. Can't remember what items you haven't submitted? Call us at 501-279-5272!
Final payments are due Monday, June 1st. If you are paying by credit card please call 501-279-5272. If you would like to pay by check make them payable to Harding University and mail them to the address below.
Searcy, AR 72149-5615