Department of Communication
“This innovative program is a hybrid degree between business and communication that uniquely prepares students to be brand strategists utilizing various forms of media. Soft skills build strong bridges.” –Lori Sloan
Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC) opens doors to careers and industries everywhere. As a hybrid degree with Harding's Department of Communication and College of Business Administration, it is at the cutting edge of the communication professions. The growth of technology has led to a need for professionals with a strong understanding of communication and marketing and a solid foundation of business skills. IMC brings in elements of marketing, public relations, advertising, journalism, graphic design, and web concepts, making it one of the most diverse majors Harding has to offer.
Students in the IMC program will find themselves involved in projects all over campus–and beyond! IMC graduates can be found working at marketing and advertising agencies, non-profits, media corporations, small businesses, churches, and anywhere else marketing communication is important.
Students with a mind for business and a heart for creativity can find their place in the IMC program.
What is IMC?
IMC majors will complete 27 hours of credit in the College of Business Administration and 31 to 37 hours of credit in the Department of Communication. See the entire curriculum plan for more information.
Learning opportunities outside the classroom
- Internship: Every IMC major is required to complete an internship before graduating. IMC majors have interned with Harding’s International Programs, Focus on the Family, Camp Ch-Yo-Ca, Dale Carnegie, Think Idea Studio and more. View the internship experience packet.
- Branding Project: An integrative project for an integrated program, Harding's branding project is an annual, semester-long capstone. Students from Harding's graphic design, interior design, and IMC programs work together in teams to rebrand a local business or organization. View the 2020 Branding Project.
- IMCO industry tours: Throughout the year, IMCO plans out-of-classroom opportunities for IMC majors. Trips to advertising agencies, public relations firms, marketing firms and other relevant locations allow students to explore career opportunities and learn more about the IMC profession.
- Etiquette dinners: The Department of Communication and Center for Professional Excellence host etiquette dinners each year to assist students in learning proper table etiquette for professional settings. More information about these events will be shared as they approach in Department of Communication classes.
- NYDC: Each year the Department of Communication travels to New York City and Washington, D.C., during Christmas break. More information about this trip will be shared as the trip approaches.
Jobs, publications and on-campus work opportunities
- IMCO: Integrated Marketing Communication Organization is a student-led club unique to Harding's communication department. Students from all over Harding's campus are invited to join IMCO for networking, service, and fun.
- IMC Expo: In a field like IMC, networking is of utmost importance. The annual IMC Expo brings in businesses from Arkansas and the nation to recruit Harding students for jobs and internships. Businesses include Focus on the Family, Dale Carnegie Training, Think Idea Studio, and many more. Keep up to date about these and other events through the Center of Professional Excellence.
- Pivot Creative Studio: Pivot Creative Studio is a student-run full-service creative agency within the Department of Communication. This organization provides services such as rebranding, strategic planning, photography, videography, logo or slogan creation, content creation, and web or social media presence to a variety of clients.
- Other publications and opportunities: IMC students have the opportunity to get involved with any of the student media programs offered by the communication department including: HU16, The Bison newspaper, the Petit Jean yearbook, 95.3 KVHU and more. Learn more about student media opportunities.
Gain hands-on experience