Department of Mental Health & Wellness
  • This is a photo of a group of students for student affairs

    M.S. in Student Affairs

    Support the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being of college students!

New! Significantly reduced tuition costs beginning Summer 2021!

Save up to $875 ($25 per credit hour/$75 for a 3-hour course) on the cost of a master's degree in student affairs. Contact us at 501-279-4500 or


This 35-hour non licensure program is designed to meet the needs of people currently working in higher education who desire to move into mid-level positions within the college or university. Harding’s Master of Science in student affairs will be taught from a Christian perspective. Any student with a bachelor’s degree in any field will be considered. 
Student affairs professionals are concerned with the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being of the student and focus on providing support and services outside of the academic classroom to facilitate student success. 

Harding University’s program will use guidelines provided by the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS) and those recommended by NASPA, Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education. 


Courses are offered at these locations:

Admission Requirements

Technical Information

Application Requirements

  • Complete the GradCAS application and submit the appropriate fee (non-refundable).
  • Request official transcripts from all colleges attended and have them sent to GradCAS.
    • GradCAS Transcript Processing Center
      PO Box 9217
      Watertown, MA 02471 I
    • Note: An alumnus of Harding University does not need to request an HU transcript; records are on file. You can bypass this requirement in the Academic History quadrant.
  • Request three letters of recommendation from persons who can attest to the applicant's professional or academic performance, including one related to professional ability in the degree area to which the student is applying. Have them sent through the CAS recommender portal.
  • Upload a CV/resume.
  • Upload a current valid educator license 

OR request official test score reports from one of the following entrance exams and have them sent to Harding University.

  • PRAXIS II Examinations, earning at least the Arkansas cut-off score for licensure (Principles of Learning and Teaching and Specialty area)
  • Miller Analogies Test, minimum target score of 380
  • GRE general exam, minimum score of 286 (Quantitative and Verbal combined).  


  • Hold a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or more, or 2.75 on the last 60 hours, attested by official transcript(s); OR an earned master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, attested by an official transcript.
  • Complete a personal interview with the Mental Health and Wellness faculty. 


Students may transfer semester hours from other accredited graduate schools, subject to the approval of the chair of Mental Health and Wellness. Student Affairs students may transfer a maximum of 9 semester hours in which they have a grade of "B" or higher. All coursework to be transferred must be completed before a student's last semester.

Students who (1) speak English as a second language, and have (2) not previously completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited American college or university must meet a minimum score on a nationally recognized test of English language proficiency such as the TOEFL or IELTS. However, in lieu of these exams, professional programs in the health sciences may assess such students with an interview and/or a writing exam.

Minimum TOEFL scores acceptable for admission to the university are 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test), or 79 (Internet-based test). The minimum IELTS score is 6.0. Scores must not be older than two years prior to the date of application to the university. Please note that individual programs may have more stringent minimum requirements.


These requirements are common to all programs in education and are listed in the Cannon-Clary College of Education  section. Student Affairs students should refer to their student handbook for program requirements.


A student who does not fully meet the requirements listed above may receive provisional admission, with the approval of counseling faculty, if he or she: 

  • Holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative grade point average below 2.50 but not less than 2.35, attested by official transcript(s).

Provisional status is removed when the student completes 12 graduate level hours with at least a 3.0 grade point average, six of which must be in the academic area of concentration.


Upon acceptance into the program, students must consult with the director of their program or assigned advisor concerning the required course of study, register for classes online through Campus Pipeline each semester, and complete financial registration with the Business Office online.

Leveling courses, if required, will not be included within the semester hour requirements for the Master of Science degree programs.

All requirements of the program must be completed within eight years from the time of acceptance into the program. Course work taken more than eight years before graduation will not be acceptable.

Admission to the Student Affairs Program does not guarantee retention.

At least one semester before the initial internship semester in the Student Affairs Program, requests for admission to field placement must be made by filing the required application forms with the director of field experiences in Student Affairs. Applications must be submitted by week 9 of the semester preceding field placement.

When to Apply

Applications should be submitted by the following dates:

2020 Fall term: July 1

2021 Spring term: November 15

2021 Summer: TBD

Academic Catalog

  • Loading...

Internships and Practicums


Want more information about our program?