Requirements & Accommodations
Gym staff will be required to wear a mask while on the job. Gym patrons will be encouraged to wear a mask coming to and from the gym, but they will not be required to wear them while actively exercising. Maintain proper spacing from others by working out with 12 feet in between each person. This may require closing or moving some equipment.
Weight rooms in the GAC:
- In general, masks are required in both weight rooms unless you are on a cardio machine (aerobic exercise). Lifting weights and other activities that are anaerobic require a mask.
- Social distancing is expected in both weight rooms.
- All the cardio equipment has been moved upstairs which means masks must be worn in the downstairs weight room.
- Masks will be required upstairs when using the weight machines.
- There is a 35 person capacity for the downstairs weight room (could come into effect in the afternoons).
- In addition, we have 10 new treadmills with added features.
- Regarding the track, please go in the same direction and practice social distancing--masks not required but recommended if possible.
Free play in the GAC:
- Basketball and Volleyball will not be allowed in the GAC b/c of COVID.
- We will set up pickleball, badminton, and table tennis in the gym.
- The spin bikes have been moved downstairs for easier access (except when classes are in session).
- Outdoor recreational opportunities:
- Volleyball and Bocce will be set up on the front lawn of the GAC (Bison Park).
- Basketball, sand volleyball, and disc golf are available on Bison Lane.
Locker Rooms: The locker rooms are open, but we ask for limited use.
Pool: The pool will be open. More info coming later.
Fitness Room (GAC 131 mirror room): There will be classes, but the aerobic activity capacity is 9 people (no mask). For classes that are anaerobic (yoga, pilates, etc) the capacity is 18 people (masks required).
Racquetball courts: The racquetball courts will be closed this fall. The small size of the room, poor ventilation, and close contact will not allow for racquetball this semester.
Weekend Activities: The Recreation Program will add extra weekend events and activities. Examples would be organized tournaments or other opportunities in Ultimate, disc golf, kickball, spikeball, and other outdoor sports.
Intramurals and Social Club athletics: All of these activities will be outside this fall semester. Examples are soccer, softball, sand volleyball, and flag football. Tom Ritchie will communicate how this will be done when the time is appropriate.
Contact Braden Henderson if you have any questions.
The Ganus Activities Complex and Bison Lane offer multiple activities to meet the recreational needs of Harding students. Learn more about recreation and the role it plays in student life at Harding University.
The GAC offers:
- Weight room
- Indoor cycling
- Futsal (indoor soccer)
- Swimming pool
- Billiards & foosball
- Aerobics room
- Ping pong
- Elevated track
Bison Lane includes:
- Tennis (lighted)
- Sand volleyball (lighted)
- Outdoor basketball
- Flag football and soccer fields (lighted)
- Multi-purpose field
- 18-hole disc golf
- Jogging trail