Registrar's Office

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can participate in a Commencement Ceremony?

The Commencement Ceremony is open to students who meet the following criteria: 

1.  The student has applied for graduation

2.  The student is enrolled in all of the remaining classes required for their degree. 

3.  The classes in which the student is enrolled all end prior to the date of the Commencement Ceremony. 

The only exception allowed is for students who are enrolled at Harding during Intersession for a single course that completes their degree requirements.  These students may walk in the May Commencement Ceremony, but their degree conferral will occur in the Summer following the ceremony.  

Students who complete their degrees during the Summer will have their degrees conferred during the Summer, and they are welcome to return to campus for participation in the December Commencement Ceremony. 

How do I change my major?

Go to the Student area of Pipeline, and inside the Registrar Forms section, click on the Major/Minor Change link.  A new window will open and you will complete each box, clicking "next" to continue until the form is complete.  Hit submit. 

How and when do I apply for graduation?

Students should apply for graduation by October 1 in the Fall semester prior to a Spring graduation, and by March 1 for a Summer or Fall semester graduation.  Students who apply after the deadline will be charged a $50 late fee.  While the deadline requires students to apply one semester before graduation, the Graduation Application Form is available to students two semesters prior to graduation, and there is no penalty for applying early. 

The Graduation Application form is located in the Student Records area of Pipeline. 

When the Graduation Application is received, the Registrar's Office does a thorough review of the student's transcript and degree evaluation, and sends an email to the student and his or her advisor, informing them if the student is on track for graduation or not.  If there are courses necessary for graduation that the student has not taken or is not currently taking, they are informed about the lacking requirements. 

The advantage of applying on time or early for graduation is that if the student lacks requirements for graduation, they are informed at least one semester prior to graduation, which gives the student at least one semester to take the missing course or courses and remain on track for their intended graduation date.  Students who apply for graduation during the semester in which they plan to graduate lose this benefit, and usually find out about missing requirements after the deadline to add courses during the semester they planned to graduate.  Students who apply after the deadline often do not graduate by their target date, so on-time application for graduation is strongly encouraged. 

How many hours of transfer courses can I take after I enroll at Harding?

Harding students can take courses at other schools, but they are limited to 18 hours of transfer credit after they become a Harding student. 

What is concurrent enrollment?

Concurrent enrollment is when a Harding student is taking one or more courses at another college during the same semester in which they are enrolled at Harding.  All courses at the other college must be pre-approved by submitting the Transfer Course Pre-approval form on Pipeline.  Concurrent enrollment can affect a student's financial aid status, so it is always wise to consult with the Financial Aid Office to see if doing concurrent enrollment will affect you in a negative way. 

When are Harding students allowed to do concurrent enrollment?

Students who have courses pre-approved for transfer can do concurrent enrollment starting with their second semester of enrollment at Harding and up until the semester before graduation.  Students are not approved for concurrent enrollment during their first semester or during the semester of graduation.  During a student's first and last semesters at Harding, all courses must be Harding courses. 

How do I get a transfer course approved?

The transfer course pre-approval form is located in the Registrar Forms section of Pipeline.  This must be submitted before the student enrolls in the course at the other school.  Once the form is received, we research the accreditation of the school, and the content of the course.  We determine if the course is equivalent to a Harding course, and if the transfer course will satisfy a requirement within the student's chosen degree plan.  In some cases, we are able to find a different course at the school under consideration that would be a better fit for the student's educational plans, and advise the student to take that course instead.  We also check to be sure that the student is not repeating a course by mistake. 

How do I drop a course?

During the first five days of a full semester, a course can be dropped within the Schedule Planner on Pipeline, by the student.  Starting with the second week of the term, the student must submit the Drop Form on Pipeline.  The form is in the Registrar Forms section of Pipeline.  If the course withdrawal is approved, the student is dropped from the course, and the Business Office will charge the student account for the $10 drop fee.  

Who should I consult with before dropping a course?

It is always wise to consult with the teacher of the course to see if there is anything you can do to succeed in the course before withdrawing.  In many cases, teachers have additional assistance they can recommend that may salvage your grade in the course.  You should also consult with your faculty advisor to see how dropping the course will affect your strategy for graduation, and to make a plan for how and when you will take the course again.  If you receive Financial Aid, it is a good idea to check with the Financial Aid Office to know how dropping a course will affect your Financial Aid eligibility.  College Athletes should always inform the Athletic Office in the Ganus Activities Center if they are dropping a course, as the reduced hours can affect athletic eligibility for competition. 

How do I get my Dual-Enrollment Credit from High School transferred to my Harding transcript?

If you took college courses during High School as part of a dual-enrollment arrangement with a local Community College, you must order an official transcript from that Community College, and request they send it to the Harding University Admissions Office.  The privacy law regulating college records requires that only you can order your college transcript;  your High School or parents cannot do this for you.  Most college have a place on their website where you can place an order for an official transcript. 

How do I get my AP or CLEP credit posted to my Harding transcript?

AP and CLEP credit earned before a student enrolls at Harding must be received by Harding and posted on the transcript before the end of a student's first semester at Harding.  AP or CLEP credit transcripts must be ordered from AP and/or CLEP, and those documents should be sent from AP & CLEP directly to the Testing Office at Harding University.  This is another one of those things that you, the student, must initiate.  Your High School or parents cannot do this for you.  The Testing Office will review your official score reports, determine which classes, if any, you will receive credit for at Harding, and will inform the Registrar about the courses to post to your Harding transcript. 

If you are a transfer student with AP or CLEP credit awarded to you at your previous school, you must order new AP or CLEP score reports and have them sent to Harding for review.  Passing scores on AP or CLEP exams vary from college to college, so Harding needs to see your original score reports to make a determination for how to award credit here. 

How do I get approval to enroll in more than 18 hours?

The Maximum Credit Load Request Form is available in the Registrar Forms section of Pipeline.  Before submitting the form, please be aware of the following policies surrounding Maximum Credit: 

Eligibility for Maximum Credit Load requires a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA, or a 3.0 or higher term GPA in the preceding semester. 

Freshmen (26 or fewer hours) are limited to a maximum of 18 hours.  

Sophomores (27 to 59 hours) may take up to 19 hours with approval. 

Juniors (60 to 89 hours) may take up to 20 hours with approval. 

Seniors (90 or more hours) may take up to 21 hours if they have applied for graduation and are in the final two semesters prior to graduation.  Seniors with less than 3.0 GPA will be decided on an individual basis. 

Max Credit Load includes any courses taken at another college during the semester under consideration.  Under no circumstances may any student, regardless of GPA or classification, enroll in more than 21 hours (including any concurrent enrollment hours). 

Contact Us

Fax: 501-279-4388

Location: Administration 106

Office Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Mailing address:
Harding University
Registrar's Office
Box 10766
Searcy, AR 72149-5615