Graduate Financial Aid

Financial aid is available to most Harding graduate and professional degree students in the form of graduate assistantships, federal and private loans, veterans programs, and vocational rehabilitation programs. Additionally, many employers may offer tuition assistance. 

Office of Financial Aid Services

Awarded funds are administered wholly or in part by the Office of Financial Aid Services. Designated graduate and professional financial aid representatives are ready to assist you. Please feel free to contact us whenever you have questions, or need to discuss your financial aid status.

We are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (CT).

  • By phone: 501-279-4081
  • By email:
  • In person: By appointment or walk-in during office hours
  • U.S. Mail: Harding University, HU 12282, Searcy, AR 72149-5615


Financial Aid Options

Graduate Assistantships

Assistantships are available to full-time graduate and professional students. Contact the Graduate & Professional Support Office at or view Graduate and Professional Resources.

Federal Loans & Grants

Basic eligibility requirements include, but are not limited to:

Minimum hour requirements:

To qualify for federal loans, graduate and professional students must be enrolled in accordance with at least half-time status requirements. Half-time status requirements are as follows:

  • Ed.D. (final dissertation phase only) 1 hour per term
  • Teacher certification/licensure 6 hours per term
  • All other graduate/professional degrees 4 hours per term
  • Financial aid awards are based on current federal and institutional rules. Students have the right to accept or decline any aid offered.


  • PELL GrantNOT available to graduate students, regardless of income.
  • TEACH Grant – Federal grant for those who plan to teach a high-need subject in a low-income elementary, middle or high school.
    • Four-year service agreement required. Grant converts to an unsubsidized loan if service is not fulfilled.
    • For more information and to apply, login to (minimum GPA of 3.25)
    • Must be seeking a degree. Students seeking only licensure are not eligible.


Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The Federal Direct student loan program makes loans available to graduate students. Loans are electronically processed by the Financial Aid Services Office.

Repayment begins six months after the student ceases half-time enrollment. Graduate students are only awarded unsubsidized loans, which accrue interest while in school.

  • Up to $10,250 per semester (full-time enrollment)
  • Half-time students may receive a slightly lesser amount depending on the program cost of attendance (COA).
  • Lifetime limit of $138,500, including undergraduate loans
    • Exception: Pharmacy lifetime limit - $224,000

Federal Direct Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan

Graduate and professional degree students are eligible to borrow under the PLUS loan program up to the cost of attendance less other financial assistance. Applicants must be credit-worthy or apply with a credit-worthy endorser. Applicants are required to have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Unsubsidized Direct loan program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan. Contact the Office of Financial Aid Services for additional information.

  • This is in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized loan, not to exceed the cost of attendance (COA).
  • Application for the Grad PLUS loan may be completed at
  • A credit check is required for the Grad PLUS loan, and students with adverse credit may be turned down or require an endorser.
  • It is not necessary to establish a credit history to receive the Grad PLUS loan, but maintaining clean credit is very important.

Private Funding

Private alternative loans are designed for students with limited or no access to federal loan options. 
Harding University's Office of Financial Aid Services will certify private loans for any lender that a borrower chooses. We recommend that you evaluate your private alternative loan options carefully, and comparison shop before you finalize your choice of a private alternative loan. To assist you in narrowing your search for a private alternative loan, Harding provides the  Alternative Private Loan Search , which includes a short list of the most used private lenders by Harding students. 

Veterans Programs

Veterans, spouses, and dependents must apply for education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and once approved, forward a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO). The SCO is located within the Office of the Registrar.

The following VA education benefits are approved for use at Harding University: Post 9/11 GI Bill® (including the Fry scholarship and Edith Nourse Rogers STEM scholarship), Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (including Tuition Assistance Top Up), Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves, and the Dependents Education Assistance program.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

In compliance with the Veterans Administration’s minimum standards of progress, if a student receives VA assistance, is placed on academic probation, and does not remove this probation within one semester, he or she will be suspended from receiving VA education benefits for the following semester.

Students working on any graduate level degree or graduate level coursework do not qualify for Yellow Ribbon funds at Harding University.

In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (Section 103), students utilizing either Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® or Chapter 31:
Any covered individual will be able to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website - eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  2. Ninety days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Harding University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Documentation required by Harding University before certification:

  1. Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits (Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill ®)
  2. VA Form 28-1905 or emailed approval from the student’s Case Manager (Chapter 31)
  3. VA Certification Form (both Chapter 33 and 31 students and found in the student portal)
    a. This form is to be submitted every semester until the student exhausts their benefits or they graduate.

Once both forms of documentation are received by the VA School Certifying Official, the VA Account Manager will place the student on deferred billing so no interest is automatically accrued.

Vocational Rehabilitation

If students are permanently disabled, they may receive free vocational counseling and financial assistance toward the cost of their college education, provided their vocational objective is approved by a rehabilitation counselor. Students should apply directly to the vocational rehabilitation counseling service of their state Department of Education.

Harding Graduate & Professional Scholarships and Grants

Harding graduate scholarships are administered and awarded by the individual programs. 

  • Total Harding scholarship may not exceed total tuition.
  • Students should contact Financial Aid Services for information regarding scholarship status if they are considering dropping credit hours.

Allied Health

Communication Sciences & Disorders

Graduate Assistantship

Students work 10 hours/week for the department and receive 10 hours/week of scholarship; total award is $25,000 if the award is retained through five semesters.

Students indicate a desire to apply for this award during the application process. Strong candidates are identified and interviewed. We award three GA positions in each cohort of students, for a total of 6 in our graduate program (Three in each of two cohorts).

Additional departmental scholarship opportunities will be made available to candidates accepted to the program.

Once both seat deposits have been paid and the student is admitted to the University, full-time students in the MS-SLP program may apply for GA positions in other departments on campus via the form in Pipeline.

In some areas, speech-language pathologists qualify for the TEACH grant program and may also be eligible for public service loan forgiveness.

Graduate student scholarships are available from the ASHFoundationCouncil for Academic Programs in CSD, Health Resources & Services Administration, AMBUCS and Junior Auxiliary, among others.

Contact: Melanie Meeker

Physician Assistant Studies


Applicants must be enrolled in the HUPA program in good academic standing, not on academic warning or probation at time of application or selection, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. They must have demonstrated professionalism throughout the academic year. They must show leadership and diligence and demonstrate capability in the PA curriculum, demonstrate financial need based on a FAFSA information provided by Harding University Financial Aid. In addition, they must have veteran’s status or immediate family member (spouse, child, parent, sibling, or grandparent) who is a veteran is not required but veterans and/or their family members will be given preference. A veteran family member other than the above should be mentioned but may not receive preference.

Students must meet the above criteria. Other factors are also considered base on application. These include 1) leadership roles including leadership positions, community service, honors and awards, and 2) financial need.

Deadline: Determined during the student's third semester
Application: Distributed by the department

Contact: Debbie Kemper



Custom Corporate Cohort Degree Programs available for businesses.
  • Participants in company's custom cohort degree program may receive up to 20% off of the respective program's tuition
  • Professors can come to your place of business
Contact: Rochelle Waddill at or 501-279-4523 

Take advantage of your company's education reimbursement benefit package.
Many companies offer 50% or more reimbursement when their employees pursue higher education or additional certifications. 



Awarded to Harding University candidates in Graduate Education, specifically in Educational Leadership: Principal, Curriculum & Instruction Administration, Special Education Administration, and Superintendent. The scholarship will be $500 for one semester awarded to three (3) candidates seeking an administrative license. Candidates can apply each semester (fall, spring, and summer) for this scholarship. Recipients are eligible to receive this scholarship once every three semesters. A committee established in the College of Education will select the recipients.

Contact: Educational Leadership Office at 501-279-4117 or


General Guidelines: This university fellowship program is available to assist staff in pursuing the College of Education’s Ed.D. in Leadership. This program provides professional development for approved staff members at Harding and will benefit the staff member and the university. Faculty are not eligible for this program. Eligible staff must have completed at least three (3) years of service to Harding to participate in this program and can apply during their third year of service at Harding. There are a limited number of fellowships; the number awarded each year is based on the funding available and the size of the incoming class. Typically, no more than two fellowships are awarded a year. Priority is given to well-qualified applicants with a rationale of benefits to the applicant and Harding. The Ed.D. program director will collaborate with various offices on campus to develop a list of potential research topics that will benefit the university. Fellowship recipients must choose a research topic that will be beneficial to Harding. All fellowship recipients will make progress reports to their immediate supervisor (copied to their vice president) and the provost at the end of each year. The director of the Ed.D. program must evaluate and determine that the dissertation topic is potentially beneficial to Harding. While participating in the fellowship program, the staff member’s pay will not be increased more than the normal rate of increase provided to other full-time employees. Only after completing the doctorate will the staff member’s salary be adjusted. The only exception is if the staff member is promoted to a higher-paying position. Ed.D. classes are typically on Saturdays and do not conflict with the regular Monday through Friday work week. In the event of a class conflict with work, the fellowship recipient must work out a satisfactory work schedule adjustment with their immediate supervisor.

Expenses: Harding University will pay tuition and technology fees only in the amount of 100% for all non-dissertation coursework and 75% for all dissertation credit hours. The staff member will sign an education assistance agreement before beginning the fellowship program. The doctorate must be completed within a seven-year period from the date of the first term of classes. To be eligible for education assistance agreement forgiveness, the staff member is required to sign a promissory note that requires a year of service to the university for each year of support provided. If the staff member leaves active employment with Harding University, the education assistance agreement forgiveness ends immediately. The staff member is responsible for repaying the balance at the terms agreed to in the education assistance agreements. Individuals who fail to complete their program of study must repay the university in full for all funds provided. If the failure of completion occurs through no fault of their own, the staff may petition for an exception.

Application Process: Apply and be accepted into Harding's Ed.D. program.

Submit a written request for a fellowship to the director of the Ed.D. program that includes a rationale describing the benefit to the applicant and Harding. Include letters of support from the immediate supervisor and (if not the same) the appropriate vice president. Only those submitted with the approval of the respective vice president will be forwarded to the fellowship committee for consideration.

Applications will be evaluated by the Ed.D. fellowship committee, comprised of the Ed.D. program director, the executive vice president, the Provost, and the vice president for finance. The fellowship committee will review each application and make recommendations to the president.

The Ed.D. program director will communicate the president's decision to the applicants. Fellowship recipients will work with the Ed.D. office to facilitate support. Providing support for pursuing a doctorate in leadership for approved staff is a form of professional development that leads to better-qualified staff. The dissertation research topic selected will be of benefit to the university.

Contact: Educational Leadership Office at 501-279-4117 or

Mental Health & Wellness

Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy


Applicants who are church ministers, shepherds or serve in other leadership or ministry capacities are eligible for savings. The cost of the first class is $250 with a 50% discount for remaining counseling skills certificate classes.

Contact: or 501-279-4500 

Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy


This scholarship is awarded based on scholarship, leadership, diligence, demonstrated capability, and financial need. Recipients shall maintain a satisfactory grade point average and a good reputation among faculty and students. The amount is determined on a yearly basis dependent on available funds. There is no application.

Deadline: April 1

Contact: Justin Moore


Contact: Justin Moore


Contact: Justin Moore


Contact: Justin Moore


Master's Entry into Professional Nursing 

The MEPN scholarship is based on gpa or academic merit and financial needs. All students admitted to the program are eligible to apply. 

Contact: MEPN Program Coordinator


Agatha Culpepper Wallace Scholarship

The recipient of this scholarship is a student with demonstrated scholarship, leadership, diligence, capability, and financial need.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Arkansas Pharmacy Foundation Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded to a student who has expressed an intent to practice in Arkansas after graduation, has demonstrated leadership skills, and is a member of at least one student organization affiliated with a national pharmacy organization.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy Rural Loan Program

This program was established by the Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy to provide tuition loans to a select number of pharmacy students who intend to work in rural Arkansas communities of less than 15,000 people and which are at least 15 miles from the nearest incorporated municipality/city with 50,000 or more inhabitants. The tuition loan does not require repayment if the graduate works full time as a pharmacist for 36 consecutive months in an eligible community.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Dean's Merit Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded to the top ten percent of each professional year class.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Faculty and Staff Scholarship

This scholarship was established by the inaugural faculty and staff of the Harding University College of Pharmacy to recognize superior talent within the student body students who possess strong leadership ability, academic and professional promise, and exemplify the ideals of Harding University College of Pharmacy.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Gay Nell Hixson Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded to applicants who demonstrate scholarship, leadership, diligence, capability, and financial need. Recipients shall maintain a satisfactory grade point average and a good reputation among faculty and students.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Mark Story Endowed Scholarship

This scholarship was established by the Mark Story family and is awarded to a P3 or P4 student pursuing a focus in pharmacy management who has a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and is in good academic standing. Preference is given to those completing a M.B.A. in addition to their Pharm.D.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Richie's Specialty Pharmacy Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic performance and financial need.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Walgreens Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded annually to a student engaged in efforts to raise awareness in diversity and community outreach.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Walgreens Multilingual Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded to a single student who is fluent speaking in one or more languages in addition to English with an interest in community pharmacy.

Contact: Jeanie Smith

Harding School of Theology

Harding School of Theology offers a variety of scholarships for:

  • Master of Arts
  • Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
  • Maser of Arts in Divinity
  • Doctor of Ministry

Contact: Lucas Suddreth (


Payment Options

Deferred Billing Plan (if receiving Tuition Assistance)

Qualified students whose employers provide tuition reimbursements are allowed to defer payment of their bill for one month after each semester ends (i.e., spring tuition may be paid as late as June). There are no fees or interest assessed to accounts with this pre-approved option.

Please submit the following to

Payment Plan

Qualified students may be set up on a four-payment plan each semester. Payments are due on the 1st of each month. A $25 fee will be charged for this option each semester; however, no interest will be charged. A $35 late fee will be assessed if the student does not pay per the terms of the agreement. To set up a payment plan option or for more information, please contact the Business Office at 501-279-4034 or


Cost of Attendance: Graduate Programs

(located in the Academic Catalog)

Financial Policies

Financial Responsibility: Harding’s financial well-being is dependent upon prompt payment of accounts. For this reason, Harding transcripts and diplomas will not be released if a student has failed to take care of any indebtedness to the University. Exception is made for government loans if they are not past due. Failure to meet financial obligations to the University may result in the delinquent account being placed with a collection agency. Students are responsible for all attorney fees and other collection costs incurred by the University in collecting accounts. Term charges are not reduced for late enrollment. There will be a $30 service charge on all dishonored paper checks and a $35 service charge on all dishonored electronic checks.

Payment of Accounts: Payments may be mailed in or made in person at the Business Office, located in the Administration Building. Payments may be in the form of cash, check, and money order in person or mail. MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are accepted on-line via a third-party vendor (CASHNET). Credit card fees do apply.

Payment options:

  1. Pay the total balance by the due date on the first ebill statement of each term.
  2. Enroll in Harding University Payment Plan. Enrollment fee is $25 per term (fall and spring only). Deadline to enroll is September 1 for fall and February 1 for spring. Pay the balance due in four monthly payments. A late fee of $35 will be assessed if a due date is not met. No interest will accrue on the Harding Payment Plan.
  3. Accounts not paid in full or not enrolled in the payment plan will be subject to a per annum interest charge compounded monthly. Interest charges are not reduced for delays in receiving financial aid.
  4. Any additional charges incurred during a term will be posted to the student’s account and should be paid by the due date on the statement. Examples include adding classes, traffic fines, library fines, adding declining balances, etc. Any credits posted to an account will appear on the monthly ebill statement. 

Students wishing to apply for financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Deadlines must be observed, and supporting documents may be required. Applications must be completed each year the student requests financial aid. Students must be sure to observe filing dates for the following school year. Students are notified periodically of documentation (if any) that is missing from their financial aid file.

If prior term charges have not been paid in full, enrollment for a future term will be delayed until payment is received or satisfactory payment arrangements have been approved.

Refunds: Students are granted admission with the understanding that they are to remain for a full term. A student who enrolls in a class but does not attend or stops attending and does not officially withdraw may not receive a refund. An official withdrawal from the University begins with the respective graduate or professional office. Please note that the Business Office manages the refund policy, not the individual programs. A prorated refund will be made according to an established refund schedule that takes into account the particular characteristics of each course (traditional, on-line, nontraditional term, etc.) Please contact the Business Office for more information.

If a student’s withdrawal is the result of misconduct, the institution is under no obligation to make any refunds.

Credit Balance Refunds: Students may request a refund through Pipeline after aid has disbursed to the student's Harding account. 

Contact Us

Graduate Representative: Financial Aid


Graduate Account Manager: Business Office