Institutional Review Board
Harding University's Institutional Review Board (IRB) is comprised of several highly qualified faculty members and is responsible for the review, evaluation, and approval of research projects proposed by current students, staff, or faculty members.
The mission of Harding University is to provide a quality education that will lead to an understanding and philosophy of life consistent with Christian ideals. Therefore, Harding University acknowledges and affirms the sanctity and dignity of human beings created in the image of God. The Institutional Review Board (IRB), which is responsible to guard and protect the rights and well-being of human subjects, will ensure compliance with the established federal and university procedural and ethical guidelines.
IRB board members
Institutional Review Board Process
- Investigator determines the proposed research involves human subjects using OHRP decision chart.
- The investigator determines which type of review:
- Full IRB Review
- Investigator submits the following paperwork as email attachments to email@example.com:
- Appropriate form found on HU IRB website ("Forms for Researchers" bar below)
- Synopsis of research
- Informed consent and/or instructions for participants
- Copy of relevant training certificate [Exempt research does not require documentation of training]
- Copy of any surveys you plan to use
- Exemptions are generally processed within 2-4 days, expedited reviews are generally processed with 4-6 days, and full IRB reviews may take 3-4 weeks, depending on the day of the month it is submitted. If needed, a full meeting will take place on the second Wednesday of the month.
Forms for Researchers
Many of our colleges and departments have established their own requirements for the submission of the research proposal summary. Please check with your advisor or supervisor regarding requirements specific to your discipline. Below are sample submissions from the College of Pharmacy and the College of Education.
The following forms must be used by researchers in preparing their requests for review by the IRB.
Request for Exemption from IRB Review pdf
Request for Expedited Review pdf
Request for Research Review pdf
Request for Appeal pdf
Request for Amendment to Approved Research pdf
Request for Project Continuation pdf